Monday, July 21, 2008

What Would Jesus Say To J.K. Rowling?

As most of you know, J.K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter series. Some Christians are very against the whole idea of magic, witchcraft, and therefore, are very against Harry Potter. I have a different view. In fact, the Harry Potter books are my favorite books, and I have read them many times.


Like most fictional stories, I doubt that the author intended for anyone to take these books seriously or be influenced to study witchcraft. These stories are meant to entertain us and they do that very well.


What would Jesus say to J.K. Rowling?


I am guessing, since Jesus and I haven't had tea in several months, but I think Jesus would start by saying, "Thank you for using the gifts I gave you." God has given all of us talents and J.K. Rowling has certainly used her talents to bring joy and happiness to others.


Second, I think Jesus would appreciate the way J.K. has used her talents to spread the message of love throughout the world. Anyone who has read through the Harry Potter series can tell you that love is the main theme of the entire series. Love is more powerful and will overcome anything else.

My guess is that most of the people judging the Harry Potter books as 'evil' have not really read them. Also, we aren't really following Jesus's teachings if we judge others and throw stones at them.

No comments: